(Irish) The pleasures of the damned - Charles Bukowski - Book Review

Disclaimer: This image was taken from google and I DO NOT own these images! All the images used, including the ones above, belong to their owners. If the owner wants these images to be taken down they will be immediately.


I've never done a book review before but this being my first I wasn't entirely sure how to write and structure it.

Starting off my book collection with Rudy's book 'Helium' definitely didn't disappoint, but when I went back to buy this (less than an hour later due to being recommended it) I had such high hopes.  With the only poems I had read being online, mainly instagram and Tumblr.  I was expecting something high.  So when I once started to read this I got lost in it, I didn't put it down for hours, I had to read another poem.  I was so lost inside of Bukowski's work that I then judged everything else I have read to that standard.  It was so emotional and so raw, I loved every piece.  Of course some more than others, such as 'Dark night poem '.  Which is a very short poem, but really makes you think.

It goes:
'They say that 
nothing is wasted:
 either that or it all is'

A poem I also fell in love with which is quite a bit longer than the last is 'The angel who pushed his wheel chair'.  Going from pages 71 to 73. It took a minute for me to go onto the next page.  I reread the last few stanzas just to really grasp what the message and what Bukowski meant.

Once reading these two (and a lot of the whole book in general) I had to take a minute to think about what it meant and interpreted my own meaning.  I can't put into words my new found love for reading and poetry since coming across this book.  I feel as though it has changed my life (cliche but true).  I finished work at 2am coming home and reading it until I had to sleep for work the next day.  I fell in love with poetry from button poetry mainly on youtube.  But reading this really exacerbated the problem of wanting to buy and read more books.  I don't have much to compare it to but I really do recommend this to anyone who either likes poetry or not, it just had a lot of little short stories with some very deep meanings and endings.

Thanks for reading,
Owen Valente.

Socials -
Instagram  Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts